On Monday I sent off my completed Sketchbook Project – a whole month before it’s due!! Huge feat and huge relief! But if I’m completely honest with you, I did cut out the last two pages, hee hee. But I had good reason for it which I will explain.
Sadly, I didn’t enjoy working on this year’s project as much as last year’s, see here. I think it started with the looong wait by the mailbox for my sketchbook to arrive, and then they cancelled the tour in Australia. It was very disappointing. I also miss the format from last year, where they gave you open-ended creative titles to select. This time the subject matter choices were based on format, ie journal, poems, narration etc. I liked the former because I found it far more challenging for my imagination.
The most enjoyable part of the whole project was meeting up with my sketching friends who were working on their Sketchbook Projects. We met once a month, sometimes at one of their homes or in a food court in town. It was great because we motivated each other, provided second opinions, and had lots of laughs and chatter, plus plenty of eating and drinking. We enjoyed it so much we have decided to keep meeting and work on our own individual projects instead.
Anyhoo, as my book took so long to arrive, I changed my idea in that time. Initially I was going to buy objects from places like St Vincent de Paul’s, the Salvation Army and other op shops, draw them and create a story about who owned them and how they ended up in the store. But I had so many bills to pay and no invoices being paid (not a great combination) that even spending $2 per object was not on the cards.
So I went with idea #2. I bought a box of fortune cookies and created a double-page spread inspired by each fortune. Unfortunately I lost one of the fortunes, and another was a repeat, so that is why I had to remove the last two pages.